Saturday, July 17, 2010

Going to Timbuktu


We, Joanne, Jeroen and I went to the International Market of the National Black Art Festival. This year it was at the Centennial Olympic Park.  Hot. But water for the kids to play in.

Lots of paintings, African inspired clothing and Henry! We met him 2 years ago at another Art Market. He specializes in African Artifacts, Paintings and Prints. But foremost he is a very talented and inspiring metalsmith.


At that time I bought a ring with a ivory stone (recycled!!! From a piano key). I loved it and wore it all the time. At one point, we noticed some saw dust on the floor. Then we saw that the ivory had fallen out of the setting. A ring without a stone. We checked everywhere, but could not locate the stone. Later that day, I took my socks off, walked around a little bit, looked down and....the stone was stuck to my ankle!! What a miracle. We called Henry and yes of course he could fix it. He invited us to his home, into the workshop. I also brought a big purple Calcedony stone and asked if he could make me a ring one day. " I'll make it now!" And that's what he did. Jeroen and I sat there for 3 hours, watching 'Dirty Dancing', 'Akeelah and the Bee' and Henry fixing a ring and making a beautiful new one. He talked about the Vietnam war, Peace, Life, Art and Inspiration. It was very special, so it was great to see him again today.

Jo and I each bought a ring with an Amber stone and I also found a Peace Piece. A Pass Amulet, a hundred years old from Zaire. With this amulet you can go everywhere in peace. 


Please check out Henry's Website: www.timbuktuartcolony.com. It's great stuff. Thanks, Henry.

No comments:

Post a Comment